Mt Moriac Cemetery
Reservoir Road, Mt. Moriac
The Mt. Moriac Cemetery is a large cemetery reserve, with many early and recent graves.
In March 1865, the Victorian Government Gazette reported the ‘Mount Moriac Public Cemetery’ was the new name for the previously, and confusingly, ‘Duneed (Mount Moriac) Cemetery.’ With hindsight, it is still difficult to understand how these names – Mount Moriac and Mount Duneed – could be so confused given the two small farming villages were fifteen kilometres apart, located in different shires and managed by difference civic and religious leaders.
The first trustees of the Mount Moriac Cemetery were P N Trebeck, Michael Minter, J Ryan, William Marnell, Donald McLean, Ben Tindale and David Tayes. They were appointed in October 1857.
Click here to view our Brochure.